International Faculty

Penn State has a diverse academic environment with faculty coming from every part of the world, representing important research and teaching components of the University. This section provides information for and about international faculty.

Contact International Faculty Advising

International Faculty Advising  402 Boucke Building  University Park, PA 16802    +1 814-865-0423

Hiring Department Information and Resources

International Student and Scholar Advising has a number of different units that assist with foreign nationals:

How to Add a New Person in iStart (H1B, TN, E3, O1)

This process is required before any other eForms are attempted if the individual does not already have a profile in iStart.

LCA Postings

In compliance with Department of Labor requirements for employers petitioning for H-1B / E-3 visas, the following notice of positions for which there is an intention to hire H-1B / E-3 employees is provided. Candidates have already been selected to fill the positions; the “Notice of Intent to Hire” is not a posting for an open position.

Non-Immigrant Employment Visa Types

International Faculty Advising assists all Penn State departments and campus locations in sponsoring International faculty to teach and conduct research for both temporary and tenure-track faculty. We also provide permanent resident services for tenure-track faculty. Our office stays current with all relevant U.S. Citizenship and Immigrant Service (USCIS), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Department of State (DOS), and Department of Labor (DOL) regulations and policies; and, provides education to the campus community to facilitate understanding and compliance. The most common temporary employment visa classifications used by Penn State are listed below:

Overview and Breakdown of eForms

The following eForm groups/checklists are International Faculty Advising’s updated processes for assisting departments and foreign nationals who will be employed via H-1B, TN, E-3, O-1 and employment-based permanent residency.

Expectations of Those in H-1B Status

TRAVEL To reenter the U.S. after international travel, you must present to U.S. Customs and Border Protection the following documents:

Permanent Residency

Sponsorship for permanent residency at Penn State currently applies primarily to tenure track teaching positions, as these are the only positions determined to be “permanent” in nature.  Any position which has an end date, even if the funding is guaranteed for several years, does not fall under Penn State’s definition of “permanent”.

Life at Penn State

Learn more about living in Pennsylvania.