International J-1 Scholars

Penn State has a diverse academic environment with J-1 Scholars coming from every part of the world and representing an important research component of the University. This section provides information for/about prospective and current international J-1 Scholars.

Who is a J-1 Scholar?

A J-1 Scholar is a visiting researcher, professor, or specialist approved to enter the United States for a specific purpose and duration through the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Administered by the U.S. Department of State, this program fosters international educational exchange, emphasizing collaborative teaching and research.

The J-1 Scholar Visa Process

This section is for faculty interested in inviting international visitors to campus as J-1 Scholars.   It is also intended for incoming visiting scholars who must obtain the J-1 visa for teaching and/or research.

J-1 Scholar: Medical Insurance

As a J-1 Scholar at Penn State, you must maintain health insurance that meets federal requirements for yourself and any accompanying J-2 dependents throughout your program.  J-2 Dependents must hold active insurance even when they are not present in the United States.

J-1 Scholar: J-2 Dependent

The J-2 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa for the spouse or the unmarried child under the age of 21 of a J-1 visa holder.  This visa will allow your dependents to accompany or later join you to live in the United States during your J-1 program.  

Coming to Penn State as a J-1 Scholar

Please review this document to learn what to expect upon arrival to Penn State. 

Current J-1 Scholars

Categorized within are topics deemed significant for current J-1 Scholars.  They are alphabetized for your convenience.

Contact J-1 Scholar Advising

International J-1 Scholar Advising  409 Boucke Building  University Park, PA 16802    +1 814-863-2631

Life at Penn State

Learn more about living in Pennsylvania.