We are all subject to taxation in the U.S.  Even as an international student and scholar in the U.S., you are subject to taxes.  In some cases your tax obligation matches that of everyone in the U.S., and in some cases, you will have different rules. 

F-1 students and J-1 students and scholars will receive email instructions on calculating residency and other details as soon as information is available.  You may find the information below as a starting point while you wait.

Income Tax Forms

Federal Forms for Non-Residents for Tax Purposes


Note: ISSA purchases software for the 1040NR. Contact ISSA.

Form 8843 Instructions

Federal Forms for Residents for Tax Purposes

Form 1040

Form 1040 Instructions


Pennsylvania (PA) State Tax Forms for All

PA Income Tax Form

PA Income Tax Instructions

PA Income Tax e-Filing

Local Tax Form

Centre Tax Agency collects for the local municipalities in and around State College. They are listed on the form.
Non-residents with proof of the I-20 or DS-2019, passport, and I-94 pay a reduced rate (see the tax rate on page 2 of the tax form).

Centre Tax Agency (CTA) -- Taxpayer Annual Local Earned Income Tax Return

Note: Students living in a different town, please check your local tax agency office for more information.