Penn State Education Abroad Programs
The Education Abroad Office offers an approved list of programs to Penn State students. Programs that are approved by the Education Abroad Office have been thoroughly vetted by an academic college. Programs are approved when they:
- Are determined to be of high academic quality equal and aligned with the academic standards of Penn State
- Offer strong support services to our students while on site
- Have crisis and emergency response plans in place to keep our students safe
The Education Abroad office administers a variety of program types in order to meet the needs of all Penn State students.
Penn State Embedded Programs
What is a Penn State Embedded Program?
- An embedded program is any undergraduate or graduate course taken at a Penn State campus that includes an international, credit-bearing travel component.
- Embedded programs are organized and led by Penn State faculty members.
- Academic courses on embedded programs are taught by Penn State faculty and are considered Penn State courses.
- The international travel component is typically 5-10 days, often during fall break, winter break, spring break, or Maymester.
- Any student participating in the travel component must be registered for the appropriate, related course in LionPATH.
How Do I Learn More About Embedded Programs in My Field? How Do I Sign Up?
- Students should contact the faculty member in charge of the embedded program for more information.
- Students should contact their academic department or college to inquire about potential embedded programs in their major or field of study.
- To participate on an embedded program, students register for the appropriate course via LionPATH - students cannot apply for an embedded program through the Education Abroad website.
Are There Any Scholarships Available?
- Students participating on an embedded program can apply for the Embedded Programs Scholarship.
- Learn about More Funding Resources for links to external scholarship databases to search for additional scholarships.
- Learn more about Student Aid.
How Can I Stay Safe and Healthy While on an Embedded Program?
Before going abroad, students will complete an online pre-departure orientation that includes information about how to prepare for the experience and best practices for remaining safe and healthy abroad. Students will also have the opportunity to meet with their program leaders who will provide additional information specific to the location in which the group will study.
- Students participating on an embedded program will be covered under Penn State's international health insurance while abroad.
- Review the Emergencies Abroad page for more information on emergency support and response protocol.
- Visit the Safety and Security page for more information on precautions and support.
- Go to Staying Healthy Abroad for more information.