Faculty/Staff Resources

Working with International Students

Enrolling international students at The Pennsylvania State University is complicated by involving the academic area, the Directorate of International Student and Scholar Advising, (DISSA) and as many as three U.S. Government agencies.

International Faculty Employment

Penn State has a diverse academic environment with faculty coming from every part of the world, representing important research and teaching components of the University. This section provides information for and about international faculty regarding H-1B, TN, E3, O1, and Permanent Residency.

Hosting a J-1 Scholar

A J-1 Scholar is a visiting researcher, professor, or specialist from a country outside of the United States who has been approved to enter the United States for a specific purpose and for a limited amount of time.  The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is administered by the U.S. Department of State (DOS) for the express purpose of promoting international educational exchange of expertise and stimulating collaborative teaching and research efforts.  Exchange is truly at the core of the program and based on this philosophy and directive.   

International Interns

International Interns support the mission of the Fulbright-Hays Act as part of the Exchange Visitor Program which fosters global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges. International Interns come to the United States in J-1 status. Interns are not “employees” in the traditional sense; rather, they are foreign university students or recent graduates of foreign universities who are seeking to enhance their skills through work-based learning. As the intern’s supervisor, you will assist him/her in gaining those skills and building knowledge of American techniques, methodologies and technology.

I-9 Information for Departments with International Students and Scholars

The Directorate of International Student and Scholar Advising (DISSA) assists international students and scholars with I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification forms.  To facilitate this process for the numerous populations we serve, we ask that you utilize the appropriate form below.

Department Form-Short Term Resident Instruction

This form is to be completed by departments who need to invite international students come into the United States for short term resident instruction. (Example: Mandatory residency instruction for a world campus student, other short term students with no LionPATH records.) There are multiple purposes for this form: