The Office of Global Programs celebrates and honors global engagement of students, faculty, and staff through a variety of annual events, conferences, and awards.
Global Programs is pleased to announce the 2017-18 award recipients:
- W. LaMarr Kopp International Faculty Award, Professor Rachel A. Smith
- Ardeth and Norman Frisbey International Undergraduate Student Award, Peris Wambui Wamoni
- Ardeth and Norman Frisbey International Graduate Student Award, Fariha H. Salman
- Ardeth and Norman Frisbey International Student Leadership Award, Sidharth Agrawal
Applications will open October 1, 2018.
W. LaMarr Kopp International Faculty Award
The W. LaMarr Kopp International Faculty Award is designed to recognize faculty members at Penn State who make extraordinary contributions to the advancement of the international mission of the university. Criteria for the award includes leadership and support for international education, service to the international community, and research with a significant international component. The award carries a $2,000.00 cash award and a plaque. A applicant must be a full-time faculty member at Penn State University. The award is presented at the University Awards Convocations in the spring of each year.
Applications open October 1, 2018.
Applications close December 15, 2018.
The designation “international", while broadly construed, should include a focus on internationalization of the University through excellence in:
- International education through research, teaching, and service;
- Leadership in improving relations among peoples from different regions of the world; and
- Commitment to meeting the special needs of students, faculty, and/or staff from other countries.
The honoree is typically a faculty member who has demonstrated this international achievement above and beyond the scope of his or her normal duties.
The awards selection committee is comprised of students, faculty, and staff who have demonstrated a commitment to internationalization at Penn State. Members of the selection committee are ineligible to receive the award. The committee can recommend that no award be presented in a category in a given year, or that awards be shared by more than one recipient. To be considered for this award, the following materials must be submitted:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty, staff, students, or alumni other than the applicant or nominator. No more than two letters will be accepted.
- CVs or résumés of no more than three pages.
- Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
To apply or nominate, please fill out the Kopp Faculty Award Application.
Ardeth and Norman Frisbey International Student Awards
This award honors and recognizes outstanding contributions to international understanding by graduate/undergraduate international students (holding non-immigrant status) enrolled in full-time resident instruction or its equivalent.
Consideration for this award shall be given to all full-time graduate or undergraduate international students (holding non-immigrant status) enrolled in an academic program at any Penn State campus who have exhibited exemplary contributions furthering international understanding. This could consist of academic, athletic, or other extra-curricular campus activities and/or community involvement in school or civic group programs or service projects. Normally, recipients will have made contributions in more than one area. Please note that international activities should have taken place at Penn State and that students must be enrolled for the current academic year in order to receive the award.
Number and Value of Awards
Four awards of $2,000.00 each shall be presented in 2018: one to an undergraduate international student, one to a graduate international student, and two to outstanding student leaders (one undergraduate and one graduate).
Students who submit self nominations must complete the application and include a brief statement of required qualifications and provide two letters of support from either faculty, staff, or community leaders (personal references not accepted).
Please note, if a faculty or staff member is nominating a student, only one letter of support is needed in addition to the nomination letter.
Applications open October 1, 2018.