Dependents (Spouse & Children)

Only spouses and children (under 21) may come as dependents of the F-1 or J-1 visa holder.  Health insurance is mandatory for accompanying dependents. The B-2 (visitor) visa is applicable for parents, siblings, domestic partners, and other family members who wish to visit you.  ISSA cannot issue documents for B-2 visitor visas or advise on B-2 issues.

J-2 Dependent Information

Are my dependents eligible for a J-2 visa? 

The J-2 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa for the spouse or the unmarried child under the age of 21 of a J-1 visa holder.  This visa will allow your dependents to accompany or later join you to live in the United States during your J-1 program.  

If your spouse and/or children will only be visiting you for a short period, they may wish to apply for a tourist visa.  See the Department of State for more information. 

What is the health insurance requirement for J-2 dependents? 

Willful failure to purchase and maintain the required insurance coverage for your J-2 dependents will result in the termination of your exchange program. More information:

Can my J-2 dependent work in the United States? 

Yes.  However, visa regulations 8CFR 214.2 (j)(1)(v)(A) stipulate that your J-2 dependent’s earnings must be used for recreational and cultural activities and those related to travel.   In other words, these earnings cannot be used to support you. 

J-2 dependents cannot begin to work, either on-campus or off-campus, until they receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).  This card is issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  

How does my J-2 dependent obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)? 

Step 1:  

Assemble the following: 

  1. Check made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” in the amount of $410 
  2. Form G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance signed by your J-2 dependent 
  3. Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization signed by your J-2 dependent 
  4. Two passport-style photographs – Using a pencil or felt-tip pen, lightly print your J-2’s name and date of birth on the back of each photo 
  5. Copy of your passport biographical page, J-1 visa stamp, DS-2019, and I-94 
  6. Copy of your J-2 dependent’s passport biographical page, J-2 visa stamp, DS-2019 and I-94 
  7. Copy of your marriage certificate with translation (in the case of a J-2 child, a birth certificate) 
  8. Copy of the offer letter If your J-2 already has a job offer
  9. Copy of all EAD cards your J-2 held in the past
  10. A signed and dated personal statement from your J-2 dependent that includes: 
  • The reason he or she wishes to work; 
  • That you have adequate funds to cover living expenses and medical insurance; and 
  • That any earned income will not be used to support you.

Step 2: 

Make a copy of the application for your records. 

Step 3: 

Review your application before mailing it to USCIS. 

If you are using USPS Priority Mail

P.O. Box 660867 
Dallas, TX 75266 

If you are using DHL, FedEx, or UPS

Attn: NFB AOS 
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business 
Suite 400 
Lewisville, TX 75067 

What happens after I mail the application to USCIS? 

Your J-2 dependent will receive an email within 24 hours after USCIS accepts your application.  This email will contain a case number that you can use to  check the progress of the application.  

Your J-2 dependent will receive a notice to your mailing address within 10 days that USCIS has accepted the application. 

When the application is processed and approved, the EAD will be sent to your mailing address.   Your J-2 dependent’s EAD will be valid for 12 months or until the expiration of the DS-2019, whichever occurs first.   

If your J-1 program is extended, your J-2 dependent must apply again to USCIS to renew the EAD.