Employment for F-1 and J-1 students is limited, and working without permission is a violation of status and a deportable offense. F-1 and J-1 students may not work off-campus without permission from International Student and Scholar Advising (ISSA).  On-Campus Employment is permitted with certain restrictions. Students must complete employment paperwork with ISSA in order to work on-campus. A Social Security number is required for anyone receiving payment. ISSA can assist you with this process.

ISSA offers workshops every semester which explain the different types of off-campus work permission available to F-1 and J-1 students.

J-1 Academic Training

You may participate in academic training during or after your studies if it is approved before your program ends. However, the period of academic training will begin to count upon the program end date. 

 You are eligible for academic training as long as you meet the following criteria: 

  • You are primarily in the United States to study rather than engage in academic training;
  • You are in good academic standing; 
  • You are participating in academic training that is directly related to your major field of study; 
  • Your academic training is temporary and not a permanent position; and
  • You receive written approval in advance from DISSA for the duration and type of academic training. 

[Note: You are required to have health insurance that meets the Department of State requirements during the entire period of academic training.] 

Time Limitations 

For exchange, undergraduate, and master's degree students, academic training cannot exceed the number of months of study or 18 months, whichever is less

For PhD students the limit is 36 months or the number of months of study, whichever is less.  No more than 18 months of academic training may be used prior to the completion of studies.  A new form DS-2019 must be issued for each 18 month period. 


  1. Complete the Academic Training form in iStart.
  2. Upload an employment letter describing the details of the training program including: the job title, employment description, employment start and end dates, the number of hours per week, and the employment location. 
  3. Your request will be sent to your academic adviser who will confirm: the goals and objectives of the specific training program; the training program description, including its location, the name and address of the training supervisor, number of hours per week, and dates of training; how the training relates to your major field of study; and why it is an integral or critical part of your academic program. 

An international student adviser will determine whether the academic training request meets the criteria and time limitations and, if approved, will issue a new DS-2019 and letter for I-9 purposes. 

 You may submit additional requests to extend your employment or change employers as long as your request is made before your current employment authorization expires and as long as your employment does not exceed the time limitations listed above.