Maintenance of Status

F-1 and J-1 students will find information pertaining to maintaining their immigration status in this section.  The international student advisers in ISSA assist students in maintaining their status, but ultimately maintenance of status is the individual student's responsibility.  Students should read the information in this section carefully.

Change of Academic Level

If you change your degree level (example: complete a Bachelor’s degree and begin a Master’s degree) while at Penn State, you must be issued a new I-20 or DS-2019 to reflect the correct degree level.

Steps to take:

  1. Accept an offer of admission at the new program degree level
  2. Be prepared to submit new financial documentation
  3. Complete the Change of Level eForm
  4. Wait for approval and receive the new I-20/DS-2019

When you begin the new level as indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019 (semester and program), you must enroll full time.