Global Learning Summer Institute & Faculty Fellows Program
Would you like to learn about creative tools, strategies, and frameworks for designing courses that will prepare your students to live, work, and lead in our globalized world?
Do you have a course that you would like to infuse with a global dimension, or enhance with new global learning activities?
Penn State Global, EPPIC, and the Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence have partnered to bring opportunities for faculty in global learning outcomes professional development. As part of Penn State Global’s (PSG) strategic plan, PSG is launching a new initiative to support full-time Penn State faculty of any rank in incorporating global learning-oriented activities and student learning outcomes within domestic courses to enhance the internationalization of undergraduate curricula. This initiative is the Global Learning Summer Institute & Faculty Fellows Program. These fellowships aim to provide mentorship to faculty from a range of disciplines to add global dimensions to undergraduate courses across Penn State.
About the Program
The Global Learning Summer Institute & Faculty Fellows Program is a faculty professional development opportunity that supports the university Mission and Penn State Global’s strategic plan to grow access to global learning for all students during their undergraduate education.
Faculty participants are not required to have prior formal experience with global learning and teaching - all that is needed is interest in developing a new capacity as a global learning educator. The process of working to redesign a course has the potential for internationalizing the curriculum. Each Fellow will work on a course they nominate for revision, improvement or development. The focus of a Fellow’s work during the Institute can be on an entire course or a module/unit.
Fellows are expected to complete the following components over the course of their fellowship year:
- Confirm acceptance of Fellowship offer in March 2023;
- Participate in a virtual orientation TBD, week of May 15, 2023;
- Participate in the Global Learning Summer Institute on June 4-6, 2023;
- Teach the redesigned course in the following fall or spring semester (AY 23-24);
- Present on experiences and reflections of course changes after teaching the course during the Global Learning Course Showcase in June 2024;
- Prepare and share a brief for your department head on the outcomes of the experience;
- Serve as a mentor to at least one future Fellow;
- Provide feedback to PSG on the Faculty Fellows program, internationalization of the curriculum resources, and global learning professional development;
- Participate in Community of Practice and Fellows meetings (4-5 virtual meetings throughout the 2023-24 academic year).
Any full-time Penn State faculty at any rank who is seeking to implement Global Learning in an existing undergraduate course and will teach that course in Fall '23 or Spring '24.
Amount of the Award
$2000 as well as the Summer Institute lodging, meals, and reimbursement for travel to/from the Institute
- Application Submission due: March 3, 2023, 11:59PM ET
- Notification of Awarded Fellowship: March 13, 2023
- Acceptance of Award: March 20, 2023
- Virtual Orientation: TBD - Week of May 15, 2023
- Faculty Fellows Global Learning Summer Institute: June 4-6, 2023
- Global Learning Course Showcase: June 2024
This is a 12 (twelve) month commitment, June 2023 - June 2024.
Penn State Global and the Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence will be responsible for final selection decisions. Up to 15 Faculty Fellows will be chosen.
Applications are due by March 3, 2023, 11:59PM ET and should be submitted via the Application Form at the bottom of this page.
Please contact Melissa Brun (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Brian Brubaker (email@example.com) for questions.
Resources to Assist Global Learning Course Development
- Penn State General Education Learning Objectives, including global learning: https://senate.psu.edu/curriculum/policies-rules-for-instruction-and-curriculum/140-00-general-education/
- ACE Website: Internationalizing Individual Courses, https://www.acenet.edu/Research-Insights/Pages/Internationalization/Intlz-in-Action-2013-December.aspx
- AAC&U VALUE Rubrics- Global Learning, Intercultural Knowledge and Competence, Ethical Reasoning, and Civic Engagement, https://www.aacu.org/initiatives/value-initiative/value-rubrics
- Penn State OPAIR Global Learning Resources: https://opair.psu.edu/assessment/global-learning/