Personal Property Insurance

Penn State Education Abroad recommends that all students consider purchasing personal property insurance for their time abroad. Personal property insurance plans often cover items such as laptops, cell phones and clothing and even provide protection against identity theft and ATM robberies.

Students should first check with their own insurance companies, and/or their parents' insurance plans to find out if personal property insurance is offered through their current insurers. Often homeowners or renters insurance companies offer personal property protection policies that can be added to an existing policy.

Students considering purchasing personal property insurance plans should take the time to research reputable companies to find a plan that is right for them. The Penn State Education Abroad Office does not endorse or recommend any particular company, but as a reference and a starting point, students may consider the following companies: