International J-1 Scholars

Penn State has a diverse academic environment with J-1 Scholars coming from every part of the world and representing an important research component of the University. This section provides information for/about prospective and current international J-1 Scholars.

What is a J-1 Scholar?

A J-1 Scholar is a visiting researcher, professor, or specialist from a country outside of the United States who has been approved to enter the United States for a specific purpose and for a limited amount of time.  The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is administered by the U.S. Department of State (DOS) for the express purpose of promoting international educational exchange of expertise and stimulating collaborative teaching and research efforts.  Exchange is truly at the core of the program and based on this philosophy and directive.   

Hosting a J-1 Scholar

This section is for faculty who would like to invite international visitors to campus as J-1 Scholars.

J-1 Scholar: Medical Insurance

As a J-1 Scholar, you are required to have health insurance that meets the requirements for yourself and for any accompanying J-2 dependents during the entire time you are a scholar at Penn State.   

J-1 Scholar: J-2 Dependent

The J-2 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa for the spouse or the unmarried child under the age of 21 of a J-1 visa holder.  This visa will allow your dependents to accompany or later join you to live in the United States during your J-1 program.  

Coming to Penn State as a J-1 Scholar

Please review this document to learn what to expect upon arrival to Penn State. 

J-1 Scholar: Departure from Penn State

It is important that International J-1 Scholar Advising be notified of your departure from Penn State so that your DS-2019 reflects an accurate program end date and your record is completed properly.  

Contact J-1 Scholar Advising

International J-1 Scholar Advising  409 Boucke Building  University Park, PA 16802    +1 814-863-2631

Life at Penn State

Learn more about living in Pennsylvania.