Employment for F-1 and J-1 students is limited, and working without permission is a violation of status and a deportable offense. F-1 and J-1 students may not work off campus without written permission from International Student and Scholar Advising (ISSA). On-campus employment is permitted with certain restrictions. J-1 students must request permission for on-campus employment via iStart. A Social Security number is required for anyone receiving payment. ISSA can assist you with this process.

ISSA offers workshops every semester that explain the different types of off-campus work permission available to F-1 and J-1 students.

Cap-Gap Extension

This extension is for students with a pending or approved H1-B petition with a change of status option.

  • Students on Post-Completion or STEM OPT are permitted on April 1st to continue working between the end of their OPT and the beginning of their H-1B period on October 1 if the H-1B petition was filed before the end of the student's OPT period.
  • Students with a pending or approved H1-B petition who are not currently on OPT (such as current students or students in the 60 grace period) are eligible for an extension of F-1 status but may not work during the Cap-Gap period.
  • Students who chose consular processing are not eligible for this extension.

NOTE:  This extension is automatic, but proof of the extension is not given unless requested. Students may request an I-20 for proof of the extension by completing the Cap Gap form in iStart. The extension ends if USCIS rejects, denies, or revokes the H-1B petition or if the employer withdraws the petition.