Maintenance of Status
F-1 and J-1 students will find information pertaining to maintaining their immigration status in this section. The international student advisers in DISSA assist students in maintaining their status, but ultimately maintenance of status is the individual student's responsibility. Students should read the information in this section carefully.
J-1 Program Extension
The request should be made no more than 4 months before and no later than 2 months before the expiration date on the DS-2019. The extension is a notification made by the Responsible Officer (Penn State international student advisers) to the United States Department of State Exchange Visitor Program. To request an extension, follow these steps:
- Obtain new financial documentation showing that you have adequate funding for the period of the extension. Information regarding estimated expenses can be found on the Financial Guarantee Requirements page.
- Submit the "Extension" form in iStart and upload the necessary financial documents.
- Your request will be forwarded to your academic/faculty adviser for confirmation that there is a valid academic reason for the extension.
If your adviser supports your request and completes the form, an international student adviser will review the request to see if the extension can be approved. A new DS-2019 will be issued if the request is approved.
Expiration Date on DS-2019
To check the expiration date, see the first page of the DS-2019, item 3.
Form Covers Period:
To (mm-dd-yyyy): (This is the Expiration Date)
Students who have failed to maintain status are not eligible for extension. Maintaining status includes:
- Full-time attendance except under circumstances approved by the Responsible Officer, (See iStart for the Exceptions to Full-time Enrollment form);
- Adherence to the health insurance mandate for the student and any dependents; and
- Employment only with approval from DISSA.
[Note: Health insurance coverage is a U.S. State Department regulation requirement.]