Types of Collaborations

There are many kinds of collaborations between Penn State and international counterparts. Some require formal agreements, while others do not. The following is a brief overview of the more common types of collaborations, with links to more detailed explanations.

Undergraduate Exchange and Study Abroad Agreements/Third-Party Providers

The Directorate for Education Abroad (EA) within Global Programs coordinates all agreements between Penn State and universities abroad or third-party providers that establish undergraduate exchange programs or undergraduate study abroad programs.  Programs under the purview of EA are defined as any credit-bearing course or body of courses for which all of the content is offered abroad, as well as credit-bearing faculty-led undergraduate summer programs.  Although EA does not develop embedded programs (i.e. courses with an international travel component), the office is responsible for the risk management.

General Procedure: New proposals for such programs must originate from and be supported by Penn State academic units and academic colleges.  Additionally, programs for Commonwealth Colleges or campuses must have the support of the Office of the Vice President for Commonwealth Campuses. Proposals for programs are required to be submitted to EA.   

Any agreements with tour operators in connection with faculty-led embedded programs are handled by Risk Management directly.  A listing of the most common types of contracts requiring review by Risk Management is available online.