Current/Potential Sponsored Students

International sponsored students must adhere to the requirements of their academic program(s), immigration regulations, and sponsoring organization. The following are common requirements/requests sponsored students encounter before, during, and after their time at Penn State University. For more information, please contact the Sponsored Relations office.

Sponsored Relations does not provide financial aid for international students or refer international students to potential sponsors.

Sponsored Student Advising

The Sponsored Relations team has a dedicated International Student Adviser (ISA) from International Student & Scholar Advising who advises sponsored students on a range of topics affected by federal regulations. Some issues the ISA regularly assists sponsored students with include: Social Security/ ITIN, change of major, extension of I-20 or DS2019 document, change of visa status, addition of spouse to your document, employment authorization, internships, permission to have fewer than full-time credits, travel authorization, and more. 

Sponsored students with questions or concerns are strongly encouraged to meet with our ISA. We aim to help sponsored students navigate sponsor requirements and federal regulations to ensure students avoid unnecessary problems. You can reach the sponsored student ISA directly by emailing with "Immigration" in the subject line and your PSU ID in the body of the email.

Additionally, students can visit the office during walk-in advising hours (listed below). Students must sign in using computer #2 or #3 in the hallway of 410 Boucke and indicate that their status is 'sponsored.’

Walk-in Advising Hours

Monday & Tuesday: 1:30pm - 4:30 pm

Thursday & Friday: 8:30am - 11:30 am