Employment for F-1 and J-1 students is limited, and working without permission is a violation of status and a deportable offense. F-1 and J-1 students may not work off-campus without permission from International Student and Scholar Advising (ISSA).  On-Campus Employment is permitted with certain restrictions. Students must complete employment paperwork with ISSA in order to work on-campus. A Social Security number is required for anyone receiving payment. ISSA can assist you with this process.

ISSA offers workshops every semester which explain the different types of off-campus work permission available to F-1 and J-1 students.

F-1 Internship with an International Organization

F-1 students may accept employment with an American institution of research and public international organization designated under the International Immunities Act.

This type of employment may be full or part time and does not have to be related to the student's major.  Students may be employed beginning in their first semester.  Employment with an international organization does NOT affect the student's OPT eligibility.  Students must maintain full-time enrollment during the academic year.  Employment authorization may be granted for one year and is renewable.

How to Apply

  1. Request I-20 by meeting with an international student adviser. Provide your written offer of an internship from one of the qualifying organizations.
  2. Within 30 days of the recommendation by ISSA on your new I-20, you must apply to USCIS for employment authorization with the following:
  1. Written certification from the qualifying international organization on the organization's letterhead with proposed start/end dates indicating that the proposed employment is within the scope of the organization's sponsorship;
  2. Check or money order for $410 made out the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  3. Two passport photos taken within the past 30 days.  Your photos should be taken by a professional photographer and must meet Department of State requirements.  Write your name and I-94 number in pencil on the back. It works best to apply a piece of clear tape and write on the tape.  Put the photos in an envelope and write your name and I-94 number on the envelope.
  4. Completed Form G-1145.
  5. Completed I-765 with (c) (3) (ii) entered in #16.
  6. Photocopy of all I-20s (pages 1 and 3) including a copy of the I-20 DISSA will issue for this employment.
  7. Photocopy of biographical page(s) of passport.
  8. Photocopy of most recent visa.
  9. A photocopy of Form I-94 Departure Record. Students who entered/reentered the U.S. May 2013 or later can print the I-94 from the CBP website; students who entered prior to May 2013 should photocopy the front and back of the white card stapled in the passport.
  10. Photocopy of any previously-issued EAD (Employment Authorization Document).

USCIS Service Center Addresses

The state of your local address on the I-765 will determine where you mail your application.


Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, or West Virginia

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS)
PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266

For Express mail through private courier services such as United Parcel Service (UPS) or Federal Express
Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy, 121, Business Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067


Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, or Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS)
PO Box 21281
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For Express mail through private courier services such as United Parcel Service (UPS) or Federal Express
Attn: AOS
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034


  • Make sure ISSA receives a copy of your EAD card when it arrives.
  • Remember: you must maintain full-time student status during fall and spring semesters.