Study Abroad Week 2021
Join Global Programs and our partners during Study Abroad Week 2021 to learn all of the ways you can take your education overseas! Study Abroad Week will be held February 1 - 5, 2021, and features events throughout the week to give all students a deeper understanding of all things study abroad. Since the summer and fall 2021 deadlines are quickly approaching, this is the perfect opportunity to learn more about the future of study abroad. From funding opportunities to career enrichment, you’ll be able to fully understand all of the opportunities that study abroad has to offer. With workshops and information sessions for all majors, you can begin planning for your own study abroad experience! All events will be held virtually, and students from any Penn State campus of college are encouraged to join.
Register today to join any of the events. Those who register in advance (by January 29), and attend at least one event, will be entered for a chance to win prizes.
A full list of events is detailed below. Please note that all events are listed in Eastern Standard Time. By registering for Study Abroad Week, you will have access to any of the events throughout the week. Those registered will receive a confirmation email with instructions for joining virtually.
Monday, February 1:
Study Abroad 101
- 3:00 - 4:00 pm
- The process of studying abroad can feel overwhelming for many students, with hundreds of program options to consider, application requirements to complete, and deadlines to remember. Presented by returned study abroad students, this Study Abroad 101 presentation is designed to give you an overview of studying abroad through Penn State, including how to navigate the website, how to make an appointment with an adviser, and how to evaluate cost and financial aid opportunities!
Put Your Study Abroad to Work: Marketing Your Experience
- 5:00 - 6:00 pm
- Thinking about studying abroad in the future, or have you already studied abroad? Come learn about how to maximize the career benefits of studying abroad. This interactive workshop will be led by a career coach and an education abroad adviser to help you prioritize a study abroad experience that will align with your career goals and discuss how to market that experience to employers once you have returned.
Tuesday, February 2:
Penn State Students Abroad: Mapping your Academic Experience
- 4:00 - 6:00 pm
- This session addresses the academic challenges many students face when planning a study abroad experience. Students can learn how to fit a study abroad experience into their academic plan from academic advisers and learn how to find courses abroad from experienced study abroad staff. Following a brief presentation, students can enter breakout rooms to speak with education abroad advisers, academic advisers, college study abroad representatives, and finally, returned study abroad students.
Wednesday, February 3:
Temple: Rome Information Session
- 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- Join our education abroad adviser for Italy and a representative from Temple University to learn more about Temple's semester program in Rome, Italy that is open to Penn State students.
Education Abroad Paying the Way Workshop
- 3:00 - 4:00 pm
- If you are thinking about studying abroad but are not sure what financial resources are available to you as a Penn State student, mark your calendar for this Paying the Way Workshop. Education Abroad, in partnership with the Office of Student Aid and the Undergraduate Research and Fellowships Mentoring Office, will be discussing how to utilize your existing financial aid toward the cost of a study abroad program, as well as what scholarships and grants are available.
Faculty-Led Programs: Summer 2021 and Beyond
- 4:30 - 5:30 pm
- Join us to learn more about the many education abroad opportunities available to students that are led by Penn State faculty members. Following a brief presentation, students will have the opportunity to join breakout rooms and speak with faculty who lead programs abroad.
Thursday, February 4:
Research Abroad Information Session
- 12:15 - 1:15 pm
- This session, in collaboration with the Undergraduate Research and Fellowships Mentoring Office, will present research abroad opportunities for Penn State students. We will discuss programs such as EuroScholars, Fulbright, Arcadia STEM Summer Research, and many more.
Studying Abroad During COVID-19
- 4:15 - 5:00 pm
- We understand that this is a strange time to be thinking of studying abroad given the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic. Join us for a session with the Penn State Global Safety Office to learn more about how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted international travel and what measures Penn State is taking to support the health and safety of our students once study abroad resumes.
Friday, February 5:
Study Abroad 101
- 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- Join us for a second Study Abroad 101 session. Once again presented by our education abroad peer advisers, we will go over the study abroad basics and answer any of your outstanding questions from the week. This session will also specifically address common questions about studying abroad as a Penn State student from campuses other than University Park.