Maintaining J-1 Status

J-1 Scholar: Program Extension

See our What is a J-1 Scholar? page for information about the length of time that applies to your J-1 Scholar category.  A J-1 program must be continuous.  Therefore, a request to extend your current J-1 program must be made before your current program expires.    

If you require an extension of your current program, follow these steps at least one month before the expiration:

  1. Discuss the possibility of extending with your Penn State host department.  
  2. If in agreement, your host department will create a new invitation/offer letter for you and begin the request in iStart using the J-1: Extension form.  
  3. The form will be routed to you for confirmation and collection of additional financial documentation, if necessary.