Employment for F-1 and J-1 students is limited, and working without permission is a violation of status and a deportable offense. F-1 and J-1 students may not work off-campus without permission from DISSA.  On-Campus Employment is permitted with certain restrictions.  Students must complete employment paperwork with DISSA in order to work on-campus. A Social Security number is required for anyone receiving payment. DISSA can assist you with this process.

DISSA offers workshops every semester which explain the different types of off-campus work permission available to F-1 and J-1 students.

F-1 Economic Hardship

Economic hardship refers to the financial problems caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student's control. These financial problems may be the result of a student losing a graduate assistantship, the death of financial sponsor, inflation in the home country causing the devaluation of currency or exchange rate, etc.

Students who are authorized for off-campus employment are limited to 20 hours of work per week while school is in session and full time only during vacation periods and summers.  It may not be possible to solve the problem through part-time employment.

To Qualify, A Student Must:

  • Maintain F-1 status for a full academic year
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Make a good faith effort to locate on-campus employment before applying
  • Meet with an international student adviser in 410 Boucke with required documents

Required Documents

  1. Documentation of the unforeseen nature of the economic hardship
  2. Documentation of your good faith effort in locating employment on-campus
  3. $410 check or money order made out to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  4. Two passport photos taken within the past 30 days

Your photos should be taken by a professional photographer and must meet Department of State requirements.  Write your name and I-94 number in pencil on the back. It works best to apply a piece of clear tape and write on the tape.  Put the photos in an envelope and write your name and I-94 number on the envelope.

  1. Completed G-1145
  2. Completed I-765 with (c) (3) (iil) entered in #16
  3. Photocopy of all I-20s including a copy of the I-20 issued for this employment
  4. Photocopy of biographical pages of passport
  5. Photocopy of most recent visa
  6. Photocopy of form I-94 record
  • Students who entered the U.S. prior to May 2013 should photocopy the front and back of the white I-94 arrival/departure card stapled in the passport.
  • Students who entered or returned to the U.S. after May 2013 should retrieve the I-94 from U.S. Customs and Border Patrol.
  1. Photocopy of any previous Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

DISSA must receive a copy of your EAD card when it arrives.

Mailing Documents

Mail your documents based on the address listed on the I-765 form. (It should be valid for at least the next 90 days.)

USCIS Dallas Lockbox

Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, or West Virginia

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS)

PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266

For Express mail through private courier services such as United Parcel Service (UPS) or Federal Express

Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy, 121, Business Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, or Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS)

PO Box 21281
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For Express mail through private courier services such as United Parcel Service (UPS) or Federal Express

Attn: AOS
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034