Education Abroad Photo Contest
Studying abroad is an amazing experience that is often hard to explain in words. Celebrate and share your global experience by entering the best photos you snapped while studying abroad into our annual photo contest. Check out the past Photo Contest Winners on our Penn State Education Abroad Facebook photo contest album for some inspiration.
2018 Education Abroad Photo Contest
- The Global Programs Photo Contest is an annual event that takes place during the Fall semester.
- The 2018 contest opens for submissions on September 4, 2018, but you can check out the categories in advance and snap away with one or more categories in mind.
- This contest is open to all current Penn State students who studied abroad through a Penn State program during the 2017-2018 academic year (Fall 2017, Spring 2018, or Summer 2018).
- Winning photos will be featured at the Education Abroad Fair on October 17, 2018 at 11 AM - 4 PM in HUB Alumni Hall, University Park. Winning photos also be featured on our websites and in future promotions and publications.
- Photos must be submitted from your Penn State email address. Submissions from an email address other than your Penn State email account will not be considered.
Submit up to five (5) photos maximum per student. There is a limit of one photo per student per category.
- We Are Abroad: Photos of Penn State students abroad (wearing Penn State apparel is a bonus!)
- Global Classroom: Photos of class activities or field trips
- When in Rome: Photos of urban life, street scenes, or local culture
- Nature's Beauty: Photos highlighting the natural beauty of your host culture's landscape
- My Study Abroad: Photos capturing a personally meaningful or transformative moment
Contest Grand Prize Winner Prize
- Smart Travel Pack of convenient travel essentials
- set of silicone travel bottles
- silicone carrier carabiner clip
- five-piece packing cube system
- memory foam travel pillow
- travel blanket with cloth bag
- Wonders of the World coloring book
- colored pencils
1st Place in Each Category Prize
- Scratch Off Map of the World
Runner-up in Each Category Prize
- Global Programs goodie bag
- Every photo needs a short, descriptive caption.
- Avoid inappropriate subject matter such as drinking, swearing, nudity or any unlawful behavior.
- Photo submissions cannot be featured in other promotional campaigns or violate privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights.
- Please remember that you are a visitor in your host country and ensure the photos you submit are respectful to the people and culture.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- September 4, 2018: contest opens at 12 PM, Eastern Time
- September 17, 2018: Contest closes at 12 PM, Eastern Time
- October 1, 2018: Category winners and runner-ups notified via email. Public voting opens for the Grand Prize winner on Facebook.
- October 8, 2018: Public voting closes at 12 PM, Eastern Time. Grand Prize winner announced.
- October 17, 2018: Winning photos and other selected entries will be displayed during the Education Abroad Fair, 11 AM - 4 PM, Eastern Time in HUB Alumni Hall, University Park.
Submit a Photo
How to Submit a Photo
- Email submissions one at a time to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must send the email from your Penn State email account. Submissions from an email address other than your Penn State email account will not be considered.
- Email subject: Education Abroad Photo Contest
- Email body:
- Your Name
- Study Abroad Program:
- Semester You Studied Abroad:
- Photo Submission Category:
- Photo Title:
- Photo caption:
- Location of Photo (City, Country):
- Names of other students in the photo (if applicable):
- Attach your photo file to the email (limit one photo per email!)
- Please submit photos in a common image format such as a JPG, PNG, etc.
- Please submit photos that are horizontal.
- Photos submitted must be the highest resolution available to you, ideally 300 DPI.
- Lastly, please submit photos that are of you in the location in which you studied abroad or of the location in which you studied abroad (not from other travels outside of the program itinerary).
By submission of these photographs for this contest, I grant The Pennsylvania State University the right to use, reproduce and publish said photographs for any lawful purpose without compensation or any other consideration. I further affirm that I have gained approval from the subjects in the images I submitted and subjects are aware that Penn State University has the right to use, reproduce and publish said photographs for any lawful purpose without compensation or any other consideration.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions about the photo contest or the submission process.
Check out the Education Abroad Facebook photo contest to view previous photo submissions!