Education Abroad Photo Contest
Studying abroad is an amazing experience that is often hard to explain in words. Celebrate and share your global experience by entering the best photos you snapped while studying abroad into our annual photo contest. Check out the past Photo Contest Winners on our Global Penn State Flickr for some inspiration.
2017 Education Abroad Photo Contest
- The Global Programs Photo Contest is an annual event that takes place during the Fall semester.
- The 2017 contest opens for submissions on September 5, but you can check out the categories in advance and snap away with one or more categories in mind.
- This contest is open to all current Penn State students who studied abroad through a Penn State program during the 2016-2017 academic year (Fall 2016, Spring 2017, or Summer 2017).
- Winning photos will be announced during International Education Week and may also be featured on our websites and in future promotions and publications.
- Photos must be submitted from your Penn State email address.
Submit up to five (5) photos maximum per student. There is a limit of one photo per student per category.
- We Are Abroad: Photos of students abroad in the Penn State apparel
- Global Classroom: Photos of class activities or field trips
- When in Rome: Photos of urban life, street scenes, or local culture
- Nature's Beauty: Outdoor photos of landscape or wildlife
- Spontaneous Moments: Photos of well-timed, memorable moments
Contest Grand Prize Winner Prize
- Smart Travel Pack, a lightweight backpack full of convenient travel essentials
- waterproof phone case
- wireless noise cancelling earphones
- electronics organizer
- wrinkle release spray
- travel clothesline
- two Lonely Planet travel books
1st Place in Each Category Prize
- Scratch Off Map of the World
Runner-up in Each Category Prize
- Global Programs goodie bag
- Every photo needs a short, descriptive caption.
- Avoid inappropriate subject matter such as drinking, swearing, nudity or any unlawful behavior.
- Photo submissions cannot be featured in other promotional campaigns or violate privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights.
- Please remember that you are a visitor in your host country and ensure the photos you submit are respectful to the people and culture.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- September 5, 2017: contest opens at 12 PM, Eastern Time
- September 19, 2017: Contest closes at 12 PM, Eastern Time
- October 2, 2017: Public voting opens for Grand Prize winner on Facebook
Submit a Photo
How to Submit a Photo
- Email submissions one at a time to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must send the email from your Penn State email account
- Email subject: Education Abroad Photo Contest
- Email body:
- Your Name
- Study Abroad Program:
- Semester You Studied Abroad:
- Photo Submission Category:
- Photo Title:
- Photo caption:
- Location of Photo (City, Country):
- Names of other students in the photo (if applicable):
- Attach your photo file to the email (limit one photo per email!)
- Please submit photos in a common image format such as a JPG, PNG, etc.
- Please submit photos that are horizontal.
- Photos submitted must be the highest resolution available to you, ideally 300 DPI.
- Lastly, please submit photos that are of you in the location in which you studied abroad or of the location in which you studied abroad (not from other travels outside of the program itinerary).
By submission of these photographs for this contest, I grant The Pennsylvania State University the right to use, reproduce and publish said photographs for any lawful purpose without compensation or any other consideration. I further affirm that I have gained approval from the subjects in the images I submitted and subjects are aware that Penn State University has the right to use, reproduce and publish said photographs for any lawful purpose without compensation or any other consideration.
Please contact email@example.com any questions about the photo contest or the submission process.
Check out the Global Penn State Flickr page to view previous photo submissions!