Penn State Graduate Students Studying Abroad

In most cases, graduate students may study abroad without a formal agreement. If such activities are contemplated as part of an agreement, the following policies should be considered:

  • SUBJ 603 Foreign Academic Experience:  Graduate students enrolled in a Penn State graduate degree program may register for SUBJ 603:FOREIGN ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE for variable credits (up to 12) to temporarily engage in foreign study and/or research approved by the graduate program.  This option requires that progress towards the degree is being made while enrolled in a university outside the U.S.  SUBJ 603 carries a flat tuition rate, with the expectation that tuition is paid to the university outside the U.S. where the student is studying.  Students who need to retain full-time status as a Penn State student must enroll for at least 9 credits per semester at the host institution.  Graduate programs offering this course number are responsible for ensuring that students who sign up for this course meet all enrollment criteria before allowing them to enroll in SUBJ 603 (see Graduate School Policy on Graduate Study Abroad). Students who are registered for SUBJ 603 and who register for courses at the host institution may not transfer these credits to Penn State to be double-counted.
  • International Credit Transfer: Graduate students who are enrolled in a Penn State graduate degree program and who do not register for SUBJ 603 but register for credit courses at an institution outside the U.S. may transfer up to 10 credits into their Penn State graduate degree program within established guidelines for transfer credits (see the University Bulletin pages on Graduate Degree Programs).  Programs should consult the above guidelines and Graduate Enrollment Services (GES) in the Graduate School to ensure the transferability of credits before students are encouraged to enroll for credit courses outside of Penn State.
  • Intellectual Property: Students may wish to inquire about any intellectual property policies at the other institution prior to their departure if there is a potential for developing intellectual property during their stay at the other institution.