Maintaining J-1 Status

J-1 Scholar: Program Extension

See our What is a J-1 Scholar? page for information about the length of time that applies to your J-1 Scholar category.  A J-1 program must be continuous.  Therefore, a request to extend your current J-1 program must be made before your current program expires.    

If you require an extension of your current program, follow these steps at least one month before the expiration:

  1. Discuss the possibility of extending with your Penn State host department.  
  2. If in agreement, your host department will create a new invitation/offer letter for you and begin the request in iStart using the J-1: Extension form.  
  3. The form will be routed to you for confirmation and collection of additional financial documentation, if necessary. 
  4. Complete the Update Insurance Documentation form to show you have valid insurance coverage for the entire period of your extension.