Types of Collaborations

There are many kinds of collaborations between Penn State and international counterparts. Some require formal agreements, while others do not. The following is a brief overview of the more common types of collaborations, with links to more detailed explanations.

Faculty Visits/Faculty Exchange Agreements

International scholars or faculty can come to Penn State and Penn State faculty can teach a course overseas without an agreement. Teaching appointments at the undergraduate level are typically arranged by academic colleges in consultation with the Office of Global Programs' Directorate of International Student and Scholar Advising (DISSA). 

In the event that faculty visits or exchanges are to be formalized and conducted on a regular basis, a Faculty Exchange agreement may be appropriate. Such an agreement should indicate the following:

  • type of activities visiting or researchers will be engaged in at Penn State, the duration of visits, and who will cover expenses;
  • the number of faculty members participating in the exchange and mechanism of selection;
  • availability of accommodations and office space;
  • access to labs in compliance with export control laws and Penn State policies;
  • access to internet and libraries;
  • health and safety issues.

Items listed under International Visiting Students/Scholars/Faculty and Teaching a Penn State Graduate Course Overseas should also be considered and included in the agreement.

Process for developing faculty exchange agreements: Colleges and campuses are asked to contact Global Programs and seek internal approval from the dean or campus chancellor (with preliminary support from the Office of the Vice President for Commonwealth Campuses when applicable). Global Programs will provide a draft agreement and coordinate the Penn State approval and signing.  To initiate the process for developing an international agreement that includes faculty exchanges, contact Global Programs at intlagreements@psu.edu.