Steps to Study Abroad
The planning stages outlined below will help you have the best study abroad experience possible. We recommend that you begin this process at least one year prior to the semester you plan on studying abroad.
Study Abroad 101
The process of studying abroad can feel overwhelming for many students, with hundreds of program options to consider, application requirements to complete, and deadlines to remember. That's why the Study Abroad 101 was created - to help students get started and stay on track.
What is the Study Abroad 101?
The Study Abroad 101 is a presentation and online module designed to give you an overview of studying abroad through Penn State.
What will I learn?
- How to navigate the Education Abroad website and search for programs
- How to make an appointment with an adviser and start an application
- How to evaluate cost and financial aid opportunities
- Many other things to consider!
How is it offered?
Live, online via Zoom
- Live Study Abroad 101 presentations are facilitated by education abroad peer advisers via Zoom. Our peer advisers are Penn State study abroad returnees who have enjoyed their experiences so much that they volunteer their time to advise other students on education abroad opportunities at Penn State. Each peer adviser can explain program options, give an overview of the study abroad process, as well as provide information about their experience abroad.
- There are several live Study Abroad 101 presentations offered throughout the fall and spring semesters. Any student at any Penn State campus is welcome to join us for these virtual presentations!
- Note: Live Study Abroad 101 presentations are not offered during the summer months.
- Students who are unable to join a live presentation via Zoom can take advantage of our online Study Abroad 101 module. Students must create an account to access the module.