Steps to Study Abroad
We are so glad that you are interested in studying or interning abroad! This page outlines the steps you should follow to choose and apply to an education abroad program.
The Education Abroad Advising team is here to help you along the way. At any point you can connect with an Education Abroad Peer Adviser (opens in new tab) or find an Education Abroad Adviser (opens in new tab) and schedule an appointment through Starfish.
Step 1: Complete the Online Education Abroad 101 Module
Education Abroad 101 Module (opens in new tab)
This short online module covers:
- Choosing an education abroad program
- Application deadlines and requirements
- Funding your experience abroad
- Where to go for help
Step 2: Make an Academic Plan
- Meet with your academic advisers (including major, minor, or certificate advisers) to talk about how study abroad might fit into your degree plan
- Many colleges and campuses have education abroad representatives to help you think through the options that align with your major(s) and/or minor(s)
- Use the Education Abroad Course Planning Tool (opens in new tab)
- Watch this video: Academic Planning for Study Abroad (opens in new tab)
Step 3: Make a FInancial Plan & Research Funding
- Review and compare program costs
- Watch this video: So How Much Does it Cost to Study Abroad? (opens in new tab)
- Visit the Costs and Funding section of our website (opens in new tab) for financial tips and scholarship opportunities
- Watch this video: Scholarships & Funding Your Experience (opens in new tab)
Step 4: Choose an Education Abroad Program
- Review our Tips for Choosing a Program (opens in new tab)
- Use the Education Abroad Program Search (opens in new tab) to explore program options
- Meet with an Education Abroad Peer Adviser (opens in new tab) or Education Abroad Adviser (opens in new tab) to talk through available options
- Watch this video: How to Choose a Program (opens in new tab)
Step 5: Submit an Application
- Read the instructions on our How to Apply (opens in new tab) page
- Click on the “Apply Now” button on the program brochure page (this is on the Penn State Education Abroad website)
- Complete the requirements in the Penn State application by the stated deadline
- Program deadlines are listed at the bottom of the program brochure page
Once you have an open application, the Education Abroad office will begin communicating with you via your Penn State email.
Education Abroad 101
The process of studying abroad can feel overwhelming for many students, with hundreds of program options to consider, application requirements to complete, and deadlines to remember. That's why we created an online module to help students navigate the education abroad process.
What will I learn?
- General overview of education abroad opportunities at Penn State
- How to search for programs
- How to evaluate cost and financial aid opportunities
- Next steps in the process
How do I access this information?
- All students can take advantage of our online Education Abroad 101 module. (Students must create an account to access the module.)