Penn State University Mark - Go to

Global Penn State Initiative Headline


Employment for F-1 and J-1 students is limited, and working without permission is a violation of status and a deportable offense. F-1 and J-1 students may not work off-campus without permission from DISSA.  On-Campus Employment is permitted with certain restrictions.  Students must complete employment paperwork with DISSA in order to work on-campus. A Social Security number is required for anyone receiving payment. DISSA can assist you with this process.

DISSA offers workshops every semester which explain the different types of off-campus work permission available to F-1 and J-1 students..

Off-Campus Work Permission for F-1 Students


Off-Campus Work Permission for J-1 Students

  • Academic Training: This benefit allows students to work related to their degree program during or after their studies.
  • Economic Necessity: This work permission can only be used when a student's financial situation drastically changes due to an unforeseen circumstance.


If you plan to volunteer please make sure you understand what it entails, as it may be viewed as employment.